Things to do in Mentone and Area Attractions
Experiences to have at Mountain Laurel Inn:
- Take the ten minute walk to DeSoto Falls from the guest house
- Enjoy the sunset at Brow Park or over the pasture walking back to the Inn.
- Rocking on the porch and enjoying the quiet
- Walking to the bluff overlooking Little River Canyon and seeing the Indian caves across the canyon.
- Spending the day at Little River Canyon natural preserve by stopping first at Little River then taking the rim drive and enjoying the overlooks and if adventurous, hiking to the bottom of Little River Canyon
- Experience shopping and dining in historic Mentone which was founded in 1884 by John Mason.
- Find out why so many in the early 1900’s were drawn to Mentone and its springs.
- Reconnecting with yourself, your family and/or your friends
- Horseback riding, hiking, skiing or golfing in the area.
- Hiking at DeSoto State Park.
- Meeting other guests in the Gathering Place by playing a game, by putting together a puzzle or by watching a video
- Experience the joy and freedom of doing nothing by rocking on the porch or relaxing in the hammock reading a good book.
- Slip back into a simpler place and time.
- Listen to the soothing sounds of DeSoto Falls.
Calendar of Events:
You’ll find a list of upcoming events in and around Mentone here .
Mountain Laurel Inn makes a wonderful base for parents visiting their children at summer camps. Here is a list of just a few in the area:
- Camp DeSoto for girls
- Camp Laney
- Camp Alpine
- Camp Riverview
- Camp Skyline
- Ponderosa Bible Camp
- Camp Comer for Boy Scouts
- Camp Lookout Mountain for boys
- Camp Juliette Low for Girl Scouts.
Dropping the kids off at Space Camp in Huntsville, AL?…Our Inn makes a great base camp for parents and the Space Camp is only 2 hours away!
Things to do within a 20 minute drive or less:
- Mentone shopping — The Hitching Post (antiques & collectibles), The Gourdie Shop, The White Elephant (antiques) and various arts & crafts shops in town.
- Mountain Mama’s Pottery Shop (on Hwy 117 toward Cloudland, GA)
- Dining at The Tiger’s Inn in Valley Head for a small town cafe meal
- Hiking around the Inn or in DeSoto State Park
- Sitting on the porch listening to the rain while reading a good book
- Check out current films at Fort Payne movie theater
- A visit to Fort Payne’s Antique Mill & Deli
- Horseback riding, golf and mountain biking
- Snow skiing at Cloudmont Ski & Golf Resort (December-March)
- Visit DeSoto Falls
- Drive part of the historic 93 mile Lookout Mountain Parkway, a scenic byway, that Southern Living refers to as offering some of the South’s prettiest views.
- Currently Closed – Visit Sequoyah Caverns and Ellis Homestead
- Alabama Fan Club and Museum (the band)
- Antique Alley along Highway 11
- Visit the Hosiery Museum in Fort Payne…”The sock capitol of the world”
- Visit Sallie Howard Memorial Chapel with a 20 foot boulder as the altar
- Shop at Inca Connection where crafts are purchased from artists in Ecuador, Peru and Chile.
- Visit the Depot Museum in Fort Payne
- Shop at antique stores in Summerville, Georgia
- Colorfest in Fall
- Christmas in Mentone, December
- Rhododendron Festival in Spring
- 450 mile yard sale in August
Things to do within a 45 minute drive or less:
- Climbing at Rocktown in Pigeon Mountain Wildlife Management area in Lafayette, Ga
- Experiencing the folk artist Howard Finster’s Paradise Gardens in Summerville, GA
- Experience Collinsville Trade Day (Saturdays only)
- Shopping at the Outlet Paradise in Boaz
- Fishing at Fox’s Trout Farm
- Hiking in Little River Canyon (a natural preserve)
- Hiking in Cloudland Canyon State Park (GA)
- Special Collections at Rome-Floyd County Library for geneology and family history.
Things to do within a 1 hour drive or less:
- Rock City, The Incline Railway, Lookout Mountain, and Ruby Falls
- Enjoy the Tennessee Aquarium and IMAX (3-D) theater in Chattanooga
- Visit and dine at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo
- Shopping at Chattanooga’s Market Row (upscale outlet stores)
- Plenty of Mall Shopping in Chattanooga
- Find new outdoor gear at RockCreek Outfitters in Chattanooga
- If clear skies in Chattanooga — hang glide or visit Lake Winnepasauka, the Alpine Slide, Sunset Rock, or take in the views all along Lookout Mountain Parkway
- Take a trip on the Tennessee River
- Canoe the Sequatchee River
- Barnsley Gardens in Adairsville, GA
- Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro